Resident Aliens for Tax Purposes


Persons who are residents for tax purposes for tax year 2016 who are not still eligible for tax treaty benefits may find tax return preparation assistance in the VITA Site offered by the College of Human and Environmental Sciences at Mizzou. LinkAdobe Acrobat Document   This is also a free service and no appointment is necessary.

Residents who have tax treaty benefits for 2017

Residents who are eligible for tax treaty benefits may come for help on Thursdays and Fridays ONLY during the NRA tax Return help sessions. Schedule

Residents Who Need ITIN for Spouse or Dependents 

Residents who have a spouse or dependents who do not have a US Social Security number will need to submit an application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for family members listed on the return who do not already have an SSN or ITIN.  Assistance with the ITIN application will be provided by Laura at the Jefferson City H&R Block Office, 1709 Missouri Blvd. Suite D-E (573) 634-4999. The cost is $35 per application. Appointments are recommended.  The appointment should take place after the tax return paperwork has been prepared so that the original tax return can be brought to the ITIN appointment.

Residents with Tax Treaty Benefits Available

Residents for tax purposes who were eligible for tax treaty benefits during 2017 may need form 8833. This will be determined at time the tax return is filed.  The purpose of this form is to specify tax treaty eligibility, since this information is not solicited on resident tax return forms as it was on the nonresident forms that may have been used in previous tax years. If you are NOT eligible for tax treaty benefits, you do NOT need a Form 8833.